Sunday, November 1, 2015

15 Minutes Of Fame?

Luke V. Gatti (center) and father (right) appear before Judge John Payne last year

Just so some Cowardly Anon Nitwit can't say "Gee Larry you're numbers have dropped precipitously; you must be losing your touch":

In the routine course of covering rowdy student behavior -- mostly UMass -- I had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting in a cyber sort of way, Luke Gatti, aka the "mac and cheese kid."

 Previous all time record was 134,000 for Blarney Blowout coverage March, 2014

I actually covered him three times over a very brief period last year and he even interacted with me in one of the posts -- although I assume his response was written by an expensive attorney.

So when he screwed up yet again at UConn in a viral sort of way (my definition of viral is minimum of 1 million hits) almost all the major digital media outlets linked to me -- most of them in two places.

This of course was meant to demonstrate Gatti was exhibiting a pattern of bad behavior -- not just a one off aberration that should be forgiven under the Christian guise of "Whoever is without sin cast the first stone."

Luke Gatti one state over

 When I went to bed the night of October 5th this blog was at the usual 75,000 hits for the month.  I usually get around 500 hits during the overnight so I was a little taken aback when I awakened the next morning to see my sitemeter fast approaching the 100,000 mark.

Over the next 24 hours I averaged around 10,000 hits per hour.  And the story had legs of which I've never seen because even a week later I was getting numerous referrals.  But that impact will start to disappear any day now as we approach the one month anniversary.

I get requests almost weekly from individuals I've covered asking for forgiveness in the form of name deletion.  My standard response is, "If you don't want your name to appear here then don't do the crime."

But I do sometimes think about maybe modifying the post once the District Court mandated terms have been met i.e. fines paid, "educational programs" taken and probation period completed without any further incidents.

Of course if I had used that leniency with Luke Gatti those three posts would have disappeared long before his mac and cheese incident.

His total punishment for both incidents on Phillips Street near UMass amounted to $250 in fines, one day alcohol education program and four months probation.

But now his mac and cheese antics as well as his UMass failures, will live on. Forever.

 Gazette even garnered much needed boost in circulation

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess UConn doesn't read your blog.

Larry Kelley said...

Probably do now.

Anonymous said...

UConn's admission office is pretty easy to get through, as Gati's record demonstrates.

Rebecca said...

I hadn't given the mac and cheese story any of my time. I didn't really care. Just another stoned college kid.. whatever... I had no idea until just now that it was the same guy who you covered in your blog when he was in trouble in Amherst.

I recognized the photo, with the dad, and I kind of wonder... is dad still making excuses for this kid? Or is it time for the kid to stand on his own legs and maybe get some help on his own. Geez.

Congrats on the numbers Larry!

Larry Kelley said...

Thanks! (Some of them are even sticking around).

Anonymous said...

As a crippled for life victim of a hit and run drunk driver, congratulations to larry for knowing its no joke

Anonymous said...

His court date has been postponed until 11/23