Fire started on front porch deck and climbed strait up
A brisk but peaceful New England Sunday suddenly became energetic when a box alarm alerted Amherst Fire Department to a structure fire at Greenwich Dorm, Hampshire College around 4:13 PM.
Smoke screen after water hit fire
First reports indicated furniture on the porch had ignited and spread to the building, but later, after the fire was extinguished, a student told Hampshire College Police he had dried a sweater in a microwave oven.
Engine 2, the Quint, arrives and starts extending her 75 foot ladder
The sweater caught fire, was doused with water and placed outside, thinking the fire was safely out. It wasn't.
Quint extended ladder to second floor window
Firefighters ventilate above where the fire started
One police officer was transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital by Northampton FD (mutual aid) as a precautionary measure after he suffered smoke inhalation going through the building to make sure everyone was safely out. Give that man a medal.
And a warm thanks to the men and women of AFD ... just doing their public safety job: keeping The Beast at bay.
Students and staff of Hampshire College watch from a safe distance
Sorry, my iPhone doesn't do sound anymore.