Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Arrest that man!


Amherst Middle School auditorium 7:01 PM

So tonight I violated my official “trespass order”—hand delivered by a Sheriff at taxpayer expense--three times in under a half-hour. That has got to be a freakin record!

First I went to, oh you know, what we townies still call the "Jr. High School" now designated the "Middle School" where School Committee Chair Andy Churchill (but he works for Umass so what the Hell does he know) previously said tonight’s tumultuous SC meeting was taking place.

A location I have reported to for duty as a venerable Amherst Town Meeting member for the past 18 years.

I found former math teacher, former head of the teacher’s union Sy Friedman leading some sort of dance class to about a dozen people (in an auditorium designed to hold hundreds).

Then I went to the Amherst Regional High School, and the peanut gallery was empty. From my ‘Vagina Monologues’ days I know that auditorium seats 800. Yes, some activity was taking place on the stage, but not much. Looked, smelled and sounded like they were building a set for a theatrical production (thankfully not ‘Vagina Monologues’).Amherst High School Auditorium 7:09 PM

And then I thought WOW they could not be that obvious and that lame to reschedule at the last moment to bring hundred of people to a venue that some consider “expendable” in these trying economic times.

Of course the main Marks Meadow supporters seem to be the folks who send their kids to that particular school (the smallest of four elementary schools and the only one not owned by the town)

But sure enough, that’s where the packed meeting occurred. I had to leave (not because the cops were arresting me--although since Umass owns MM I’m certain the not so Super Amherst School Superintendent’s trespass order is invalid at that location.) My wife is in Korea (the good half) and I promised to Skype her at 8:00 PM our time.

Marks Meadow School 7:17 PM

So you can read about the meeting (and maybe even see a decent photo) in tomorrow’s Ultra Crusty Gazette.

Life is never boring in the People’s Republic of Amherst--or Korea.

A little background (comments are the best)

23 comments:

Mary E.Carey said...

You got a nice photo, Larry. You missed the part where someone got up and railed against School Committee members blogging, saying to applause, "Just because you CAN blog doesn't mean you SHOULD blog."

Anonymous said...

Please tell me more. I couldn't go because we are trying to get the Minuteman out.

Larry Kelley said...

Yeah, don't you just love that shot: Vince O'Connor, the American Flag and a Standing Room Only Crowd. Yikes!

Damn, I'm bummed to have missed that asinine statement. I would have taken the nitwit's photo (it was, after all, a PUBLIC MEETING.)

And by tomorrow, MAYBE the nitwit would regret such an anti-American, Pro-McCarthyism statement.

Or...since this is the People's Republic, maybe not.

Larry Kelley said...

Sorry Ed, you will just have to wait until tomorrow morning (let's hope) for our bricks-and-mortar friends to fill you in on the 'who, what,when, where, why'

Catherine A. Sanderson said...

Read all about it on my blog ... and yes, just because you CAN blog, doesn't mean you SHOULD blog. I strongly recommend the anti-blogging people NOT read my post about the meeting. It is chock full of both information and my opinion.

Larry Kelley said...

As President Reagan would say: "There you go again."

Anonymous said...

So, you actually have no news. This post is really just a look at me I attended a meeting in violation of my no trespass. How mature.

Anonymous said...

no, the post is about holy crap, look at all the people who actually showed up for the meeting!

Anonymous said...

So you are calling someone a nitwit that you didn't actually hear in person?

Anonymous said...

"no, the post is about holy crap, look at all the people who actually showed up for the meeting!"

Really? That's funny because it's titled "Arrest that man!"

Larry Kelley said...

We when you guys (or gals as the case may be) figure it out, let me know.

Anonymous said...

I am a by-the-book person and the Larry Kelly trespass order needs to be dealt with, not simply ignored.

Is there any reason why the school committee (which sets policy) can not instruct the Superintendent to revoke the trespass order?

Or, as the supreme authority of the property owner, issue a blanket permission that essentially nullifies the order?

It has got to be dealt with for this reason: lets say that something happens at a town function held on school property - say someone falls and splits her head open. Larry, being the bystander, renders first aid like any good citizen would and then is involved when the AFD/APD responds. And then what? It isn't like they can ignore the fact he is there...

In other news, contact info for the Minuteman newspaper:

Minuteman Newspaper
c/o The Silent Majority RSO
CAO Box #174, UMass Student Union
41 Campus Center Way
UMass, Amherst, MA, 01003
[413] 545-3317
info@umassgop.org

(Yes, the phone and email are currently borrowed from the Republican Club but it will get to the MMan.)

Anonymous said...

> "Just because you CAN blog
> doesn't mean you SHOULD blog."

I am reminded of a tumultious UMass meeting of some years back (the so-called KKK-9+1 affair) where the good liberals stood up and started to chant "F*** The First Amendment."

Oh, to have that on YouTube...

Anonymous said...

From Catherine's blog:

"But I can sit back and keep my mouth shut (like every other one of my colleagues on School Committee do right now -- do you have any idea how any one of them feels about this budget crisis?), which would clearly be the easier and safer way -- or I can tell you what I'm thinking and how I reached this decision, and you can then have a chance to prove me wrong. And hey, I'm up for re-election in the spring of 2011 -- feel free to vote me out then. Until then, I'm going to keep blogging ... and presumably facing abuse from assorted anonymous posters!"


Catherine, you really are a FANTASTIC person. Thanks for everything!!!!!

(Larry, you know what you need to do... get in there and stand with her because, it's time!).

Anonymous said...

Message for Peter Crouse:


http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1878358,00.html?cnn=yes

Anonymous said...

Run, Larry, RUN!

All you have to do is say that you are giving Catherine Sanderson a second vote -- that you will show up and vote exactly the same way she does.

I have seen this done before, the community upset with a board and after finding one reformer to get onto it, simply having honest people run with the stated opinion that they really don't understand much other than the fact that the reformer is right and they will just vote the same way she does, literally giving her a second vote.

Larry Kelley said...

Deadline was yesterday at 5:00 PM.

I think Steve Rivkin will stand by her (as will Irv Rhodes); so if those two get elected (out of 3) she will acquire a lot of backup.

Either way, I can do a lot more good flying close on her wing (while locked-and-loaded)

Anonymous said...

One of the current candidates for School Committee, Steve Rivkin, seems to share many of Catherine Sanderson's views (including transparency). His campaign is just getting started, but you can email questions or support to steveforsc@yahoo.com He has my vote!

Larry Kelley said...

Yeah, mine too (even though he's an academic)

Anonymous said...

Steve has my vote as well.
-Ryan Willey

Anonymous said...

Irv Rhodes couldn't find the pointy end of a pencil if you gave him two tries.

Larry Kelley said...

Safe to say he will not use that as his Campaign Slogan.

Anonymous said...

> Irv Rhodes couldn't find the
> pointy end of a pencil if
> you gave him two tries

Pencil, what is a pencil?

I am looking at the entire keyboard and can't seem to find it anywhere....