Amherst Town Common as designed by Frederick Law Olmsted in 1874
Yes, that swath of green space south of College Street directly in front of Amherst College Converse Memorial Library is part of the original Amherst Town Common.
Click photos to enlarge
Olmsted was invited to town by Austin Dickinson on behalf of Amherst Ornamental Tree Association
Back in 1927 Amherst Town Meeting voted in favor or Article 27:
“To see if the Town will vote to relinquish the care and use of that portion of the common at the center of the town which is southerly from College Street, to the Trustees of Amherst College for their use for park purposes only, and to allow said trustees to construct a crosswalk thereon, and plant suitable shrubbery, it being understood and agreed that the area herein described shall at all times be neatly cared for and maintained or take other action thereon.”Amherst College is therefor caretaker of the property, but not the owner.
Interestingly enough the original Amherst Town Common extends south all the way down to the railroad tracks (now the Norwottuck Rail Trail) where Amherst Farmers Supply has been located for 70 years.
Common area south and below The Octagon and in front of Memorial Hall is part of the original Town Common
Green in front of AC Alumni Gym is also part of original Town Common
Olmsted originally wanted to level the hill where Octagon now sits so folks in town center could better view Holyoke Mountain Range
Amherst is currently considering much needed basic repairs and improvements to the historic North Common located directly in town center. Within the next few weeks a $500,000+ proposal will be submitted to the state for possible 70% reimbursement.
If that grant proposal is turned down (as it was three years ago) maybe Amherst Town Meeting should vote to "relinquish the care and use of that portion of the common" to Amherst College.
North Common in front of Town Hall and Grace Church is far more forested than the rest of the Town Common