Monday, March 24, 2008

Gone in 60 seconds.


Dispatch described the perp as a middle-aged white male wanted on an outstanding warrant for something benign like ‘failure to appear.’ As I entered the elegant establishment he was seated at the bar with a classy looking woman in her late 30’s or early 40’s with shoulder long curly black hair and a fur coat draped over the adjacent bar-stool, not your typical Amherst fashion statement.

As I started to approach, eyes focused on him, she turned her head slowly and smoothly--without moving her upper torso--to casually glance over her right shoulder; her right arm, blocked from view by her body, also moved smoothly…revealing a handgun lining up directly on me.

Simultaneous shots ring out. We both die. Damn it!

The fatal encounter was part of a training exercise for the Amherst Citizens Police Academy, an eight-week program I took over a decade ago. The laserdisc (a predecessor to DVD) projected onto a large screen, and contained hundreds of interactive scenarios where you as a police officer make life or death split-second decisions.

I was so distraught over the incident (having aced the first two) that I called the training supervisor the next day to asked him “what the hell did I do wrong”? “Nothing,” he said. “There are a couple of scenarios specifically designed for you to die, because that, unfortunately, is the nature of our business.”

I thought about that a lot the other day when I first heard about the gunshot death of Officer Matthew Morelli in Norwalk, Connecticut.

Officer Morelli, an 11-year veteran of the force, former combat Marine, and volunteer firefighter out on “routine patrol” radioed that he was investigating “suspicious activity” and requested backup. When brother officers arrived only 60 seconds later they discovered every cops worst nightmare: officer down.

As my very limited training experience revealed: In law enforcement there’s no such thing as “routine.”

No comments: